Are you thinking about repairing your roof or installing a new one? Are you a roofer and part of your job is getting on ladders while working on roofs? Well, you need to know a few roofing and ladder safety tips to avoid any fatal injuries. Here are some of the top roofing and ladder safety tips that the team at Roof Restoration Brisbane think you should know.
1. Do you suffer from vertigo or any other balance illnesses? Are you feeling dizzy or often losing your balance? Well, you need to stay off the ladder completely. If you get a dizzy spell while on the ladder will cause a serious injury.
2. Regardless of the urgency of the roof repair task, you shouldn’t climb the ladders during thunderstorms or windy weather. Remember, strong winds are likely going to push the ladder away and a fall at that height would be fatal.
3. Choose the right shoes to wear when you’re up on the ladder. For instance, make sure they are clean and slip-resistant. Avoid shoes with leather soles such as sneakers because they often slip.
4. Before climbing up the ladder, you need to inspect it thoroughly to make sure it’s not damaged and in a good working condition. It shouldn’t be rickety or have any missing or loose parts. That’s because if any of these parts fall out you will fall to the ground completely.
5. Before getting on the roof, make sure you have chosen the right ladder for the job you’re doing. For instance, you should choose a ladder with a duty rating higher than your weight for the best support. Don’t forget to factor in the weight of the tools you will be carrying to the roof for the project. Also, choose a ladder of sufficient weight such that you never have to pass the top step.
6. Before climbing the ladder, you should make sure its properly set up on the ground firmly and leveled. Find a flat surface that’s non-slippery to prevent falling when you’re on top.
7. Make sure that you don’t climb up the ladder with another person unless the ladder has been specifically set up to hold the weight of more than one person. The extra weight might not be compensated thus causing a terrible injury to both parties on the ladder.
In conclusion, roofing might be dangerous if you don’t have the right equipment for the job. Follow these safety tips to prevent injuries such as falling off the ladder.